Sunday, August 3, 2014

Week 3

This past week has been a good one! Our teachers have been concerned about us getting into a "groove" now that we are half way and have started getting a little harder on us. I just can't wait to get out there in the field! It's going to be amazing. I mentioned that to another elder and he said "don't think that way. we are here to prepare to be better missionaries" but I disagree a little. I mean obviously that's true, but I didn't go on a mission to learn in the MTC. I came on a mission to bring others unto Christ and that's what will happen in the field. More learning will happen out there than it ever could in the MTC.


Last thursday we couldn't go to the temple because the temple was closed for pioneer day. So that was sad but we were able to kinda hang out the rest of the day until class. Pdays are SO much needed. And I've realized that pdays are almost just as busy. 

Class days... I just don't think I have enough time for personal study! We usually get about 2-3 hours a day and it just isn't enough. At home I could never have read scriptures for that long. It's just crazy. 

Well.... Sunday we had a devo from... well I forgot. But sunday was the first time we had films AFTER the devo. We watched characteristics of christ by Bednar. It's an absolutely amazing talk. 
Tuesday we had a devo from Elder Groberg! You know, THE groberg from the other side of heaven movies? Crazy cool! Our MTC campus has first dibs on front row seats so its awesome :)
we have passed the halfway point. We only have 19 days left here in the mtc. I can't wait to get to the field. One of our elders is super upset about the fact that we don't learn about our country's culture. Which i agree is dissapointing but we will learn that eventually :) I have to memorize the First vision in spanish.... so far I have " vi una columna de luz, mas brillante que el sol, directamente arriba de mi cabeza. esta luz descendio hasta descansar sobre de mi. al r" and that is all I remember. That's only like the first half.

We got our first "real" investigator earlier this week. It's interesting because they are supposed to be actors or whatever pretending to be investigators, and some of them are members and some aren't. So it is like a game to try and guess whether your investigator is or not. I don't think my investigator is a member. We have such spiritual talks with him, it's amazing. I want to baptize him haha.

Things are going well. I started a study journal which is AMAZING. such a good idea. It's not just like a regular take notes of everything. You color pictures and stuff of spiritual things and its super cool. I will post some pictures so that everybody can see an example. My personal goals for the mission are in the first page, and they will be in order. 

It is crazy how often I feel the spirit. It's just... it isn't home. It is so much different. Everything I do is focused on Christ, or helping others to come unto him. I am TIRED ALL THE TIME. I get more sleep than i got at home! It's "brain work" and that is why its difficult. Teachers NEVER speak in english, so im constantly translating in my head. 

Another teacher said that the difficult languages don't have teachers in that language. The teachers are assigned to that class, if they can't find someone who speaks that language. They say "I don't know this language, so I can't teach it" and the response from the MTC is "then teach in english". Our teachers tells us all the time that his purpose is NOT to teach us spanish. It is to help us realize our purpose which is to "invitar a las personas a venir a cristo al ayudarlas a que reciben el evangelio restaurado mediante la fe en jesucristo y su expiacion, el arrepentimiento, el bautismo, la recepcion del don del espiritu santo, y el perseverar hasta el fin" I don't know what it is in english, but that literally translates to "invite all people to come unto christ by helping them recieve the restored gospel through faith in jesus christ and his atonement, repentance, baptism, recieving the gift of the holy ghost, and perservering to the end".

I know why I am here, and I know what I'm doing, and I know what kind of missionary I want to be. I am doing the Lord's work. I don't know spanish very well, but that is absolutely ok because I am not the teacher. The spirit is. I am a vessel for the spirit to touch people's hearts and bring them to the truth of this gospel. 

I miss everyone, but I know that I am doing something important. I am devoting my life right now to the Lord and there is nothing I would rather do.

Elder Bradburn






No comments:

Post a Comment